Professional Truck Driver, Canada
Reports to: Fleet Manager
Meer informatie over deze baan >
Reageer op deze vacature via e-mail >
Home base: Halifax, NS.
The Professional Truck Driver is responsible for the safe operation of a transport truck and trailer to move freight within Canada and between Canada and the USA. This is done in compliance with all applicable DOT regulations and local laws, minimizing costs, and preventing damage to equipment and freight. The driver provides superior customer service and interacts in a positive, respectful manner with their colleagues.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Transport freight in safe manner for our customers.
- Inspect equipment prior to the loading of freight to check for damage or contaminants.
- Plan trips in such a way as to maximize productivity, accounting for traffic, tolls, and extra miles.
- Communicate effectively with dispatch and other members of the operations team.
- Complete all paperwork (Bills of Lading, Log Book, Customs Documents, etc.) in a timely manner.
- Provide customer with assistance to load/unload trailer when required.
- Supervise the loading and delivering of freight to ensure proper counts and noting any shortages or damage.
- Support the company’s image by maintaining a neat, clean appearance and acting in a professional manner at all times.
- Maintain the ability to transport goods within Canada and the USA by:
o Ensuring medical fitness.
o Adhering to customs regulations.
o Maintaining a clean criminal record and driving history.
o Apply for and maintain a FAST card when possible.
o Be available to drive by managing hours of service efficiently.
- Achieve minimum expectations standards for mileage driven (10,000 per month) and be mindful of fuel efficiency, idle time, and safe driving techniques.
- Maintain an appropriate schedule, normally consisting of 10 days on the road followed by 3 days at home.
Basic Job Requirements:
- High school education required and truck driver training certificate is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of verifiable driving experience in a role similar to the one being applied to.
- Maintain a current and valid Class 1 or AZ license with air brake endorsement.
- Provide and maintain and acceptable driver’s abstract/CVOR.
- Provide and maintain a clean criminal record check.
- Have acceptable written and oral communication skills.
- Have technology skills to allow the use of in-cab communication device and cell phone.
- Enter into our pre-employment and random drug & alcohol testing pool.
Conditions of Employment (as laid out in Employment Agreement):
o Based on industry experience with a rate of between $0.37 and $0.42 per mile for single drivers and between $0.24 and $0.285 per mile for team drivers.
o Accessorial pay for additional work such as detention time, extra pickups/drops, layovers, or local work.
o Incentive plan paid quarterly that rewards drivers for productivity, safe driving, and fuel efficiency.
- Probationary period is three months and there is no wage difference during this time.
- Medical, dental, vision, disability insurance available after three months.
- RRSP matching program available after one year.
- Statutory holidays are paid at a rate of $125.00 in addition to any wages earned.
- Vacation entitlement is two weeks during the first 5 years at 4%, as laid out in the Employment Agreement.
- Hours of work are up to 70 hours per week, based on hours of service regulations.
- Home base is 140 Horseshoe Lake Drive, Halifax, NS.