Continuing Care Assistant
More information about this job
respond by email
Position Title: Continuing Care Assistant
Reports To RN/LPN
Job Summary The Continuing Care Assistant (CCA) provides personal care and assistance with activities of daily living in accordance with the resident-directed approach to care, through the established philosophy of service.
Comparable Positions PSW
Job Type Unionized
• Completion of Continuing Care Assistant program or equivalency according to the CCA Entry to Practice Policy
• Completion of the Food Handlers Certification (where full scope model applies)
Education considered an asset
• Dementia: Understanding the Journey
• First Aid/CPR Level C
• Back in Form Lift & Transfer Program
• Bilingualism in French/English
Experience considered an asset
• Previous experience in working with the elderly in long-term care or a seniors living environment.
Interpersonal (Communication) Skills
Communication requires straight forward explanations and some discussion, courtesy and tact necessary in dealing with people. Communication is mostly with same level within the organization but could expand to a level higher.
Problem Solving and Independent Judgment
Some tasks involve problem solving. Problems are generally easy to identify, solutions are standard and the required action is very specifically defined. Some duties require independent judgement with troubleshooting and/or problem-solving that require some investigation. Complex problems are escalated to supervisor.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Knowledge of infection prevention and control practices
• Knowledge of principles of personal care including bathing, oral hygiene
• Ability to utilize technology (ie Electronic Health Care Records)
KEY ACCOUNTABILTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
Provides assistance with personal care and activities of daily living in accordance to care plan and established standards • Recognizes and reports a situation or change in resident circumstances, condition or behavior which poses a threat to the resident’s health, safety, security and well-being
• Assists residents with hygiene needs and daily living activities including bathing, dressing, oral care, skin care, positioning in bed, and transferring to and from bed to chair
• Assists with resident’s special needs, e.g. eye care, colostomy, and catheter
• Assists in restorative care e.g. walking, range of motion
• Provides mealtime assistance when required
• Provides snacks, morning and afternoon fluid passes and night lunches, while monitoring intake
• Collaborates with the resident and the other members of the interdisciplinary team in the development of an individualized resident Care Plan
• Fills and replenishes supplies in resident rooms, households, and washrooms
• Utilizes supplies and equipment in a responsible way.
• Maintains privacy and confidentiality in relation to residents, employees and visitors at all times.
Completes Necessary Documentation and Communication Requirements • Documents according to facility policy e.g. Daily Resident Care Record, resident progress notes, initiating medication incident reports, servery documentation and audits, incident reports etc.
• Communicates and reports pertinent and relevant information and/or observations to the Supervisor
• Reports concerns to RN/LPN
Promotes and fosters safety culture for all Team Members
• Takes every precaution that is reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the health and safety of themselves, residents, employees and all others in the workplace.
• Recognizes and responds to the needs of the residents on the risk management program e.g. allergies, exit seeking residents, choking, falls, etc.
• Follows safety, environmental and infection control practices as per Shannex policies
• Completes rounds and corresponding documentation as per facility policy
• Assists with the orientation and training of new employees
Concentration and Focus Work involves occasional short periods of concentration which results in normal mental fatigue common to most positions. Light effort required for specific situations or events.
Multi-tasking Multi-tasking may be required. Generally able to prioritize work to meet deadlines.
Pace and Deadlines Comfortable daily pace, with occasional urgent interruption, need for additional hours is deadline driven. Urgent deadlines may arise from time to time.
• Standing for extended periods of time, as required
• Sitting for moderate periods at a desk for computer/typing work, as required
• Typing and/or use of a computer keyboard proficiently
• Reading/seeing documentation both in paper format and on a computer screen for extended periods of time
• Walking short distances and up/down staircases
• Speaking/communicating with individuals who may have impairments and disabilities
• Lifting and transferring residents
• Ability to lift 25 lbs
Work involves frequent exposure to disagreeable or unpleasant conditions.
Responsibility for ensuring that processes and work flows are completed as required.
Leadership No responsibility formally or informally to provide leadership or supervision.
Supervision Received Work is performed under light supervision. Some judgement is required.
Budget Responsibility No financial responsibilities.
This job description does not include every duty or responsibility that may be asked to be performed. The position may be required to perform other related duties as assigned.